Sunday, January 12, 2014

What's in a name?

Steven and I don't pick names until what seems to be the very last minute.  Noah was named about a week before he was born, but even then we weren't totally sure until the hospital.

Roxana was no exception.  We made list after list of girl names, and after a while of looking at and thinking about each name, they would all undoubtedly drive me crazy.  We both liked the name Roxanne/Roxi when Noah was born, so it was on our list once again.  There were a few concerns with the name though, based on the views of others (reason why we don't share names).  About 2 or 3 days before Roxi was born, Steven mentioned that maybe we should consider Roxana, instead of Roxanne.  I thought about that for a while, and fell in love.

Roxana means "little star," which I love.  And it keeps people from associating her name with the Sting song, "Roxanne."  And we can still call our lovely little one, Roxi.

Her middle name was chosen before we even knew she was a girl.  As Noah was named after Steven's side of the family, Roxana Lou is named after my side.  Roxi's maternal grandma is named Lori, but for probably the last 15 years, I've called her Lou (along with Mom, Marmie, etc).  So it was kind of a no brainer for me to use Lou as the middle name.  Plus, it goes really well with Roxana.

Grandma Lou with Roxi Lou

In related news, my grandma died before I ever got to know her, and the only connection I had to her was her best friend, Roxi.  While this was not the reason we chose the name, I do think it is cool to remember. :)
~ November 2013 ~

1 comment:

Lori said...

Ahhh...love my little namesake! I'm a very lucky/blessed grandma.