Thursday, September 5, 2013

Proud parent moments

I  had a couple of "I have a great kid," moments yesterday and wanted to jot them down before I forgot.  And since Noah is 22 months old today (crazy!), it seems even more fitting that I brag for a second.

So I was in the kitchen yesterday getting some water, and Noah wanted some too.  I told him to hold on a second (he really just wanted to play in the water, I think), and he did not like that as an answer.  So, he decided instead to throw his snack of chocolate graham cracker bunnies all over the floor.  Well clearly, that wasn't a response that I liked.  So, I told him that he needed to pick up his bunnies because that is not how we express frustration, or he could go to time out.  Those were his choices.

Side note:  I was not happy that I had set time out as the consequence, but couldn't think of anything else.  Time out at our house is clear downstairs in his bedroom, and I just didn't want to make that trek.  Plus, we like to reserve that for the big things like hitting or biting.

Well, he thought for a minute and then sat down on his tractor (his favorite toy), and looked up at me like, "what are you going to do now?"  Easy decision for me!  I quickly changed the consequence from time out to taking away his tractor.  I gave him a second to think about it, and when he didn't budge, I picked him up off his tractor and took the toy to our bedroom.  As soon as I shut the door, he ran over and had a minor meltdown in front of the door.  So, I explained that he could have it back as soon as he cleaned up his bunnies.  (Seriously, I just wanted a drink of water!)  He thought for a second, and then stopped crying and went back into the kitchen.

And here's where I was reminded that my kid is the best ever...  He picked up every bunny and put them back in the bag!  So great!

I told him I was proud of him for making a good choice and gave his tractor back.  A successful morning.

As for the other story, I don't even remember what it involved, other than that he was frustrated again.  (I think I went into the bathroom without letting him follow me or some ridiculous "mean mom" thing.)  Anyway, Noah has begun to think that biting is the answer.  And clearly, I'm not having that.  So, I always tell him that he is going to go to time out if he bites, but I think I've only let him bite me once, because who actually wants to get bit, and I can still block him.  Well, yesterday afternoon, I was sick of blocking him.

When he looked like he was about to bite my hand, I told him that if he did, he would go to time out.  But I didn't try to pull my hand away.  He looked up at me, thought for a split second, and then instead of biting my hand, he kissed it and ran away.  Haha!  So glad he made the right decision again!

4 comments:

Lori said...

Way to make him responsible! Consistency is the key,and I think you've got it figured out. Now...I just need a picture of that sweet boy on his tractor :-)

Britt and Brad said...

So proud of you for being such a good mom! I hate when moms cave and pick up things for their kids even after they've already established a punishment if they don't. WAY TO BE STRONG, my friend! Haha. On the other hand, he's so smart. Love that he kissed your hand instead of biting it. So funny, because I'm sure he wanted to bite it so badly!

wendy holt said...

Ha! I made time out on the stairs, since that was as far as I was willing to take my kids. I also call it the "Naughty Spot" since I discovered Bradley didn't not like being called naughty. He's such a pleaser. Good job mom! now, go get some water.

K said...

That is SO SO SO sweet! I LOVE IT!!!! He is SUCH a cute kid!